db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Planning the 10.2 release
Date Tue, 14 Feb 2006 00:03:19 GMT
Hi Kathey,

I'm imagining the following chronology:

o April 7 - The last feature-laden patches post to JIRA.

o The community spends a couple weeks vetting those final patches.

o Once the final patches are committed (end of April?), we cut a release
branch. Feature work for 10.3 resumes in the trunk.

o At that point interested members of the community can beat up the
software in the release branch, looking for bugs.

o This goes on for another couple weeks. During this period, bug fixes
are committed against the release branch and ported to the mainline trunk.

o Sometime (mid-May?) we declare victory on the release branch. We
throttle changes to it.

o We spend another couple weeks generating and vetting release candidates.

o Sometime (early June?) we publish the production-quality 10.2 release.

I would define the top two bug priorities as:

Blocker = Intolerable defects which prevent us from publishing a
release. For instance: data corruptions, new problems which have no
workarounds, reintroduced customer-reported bugs which were fixed in
previous releases.
Critical = Serious bugs we intend to fix for 10.2. These include wrong
query results and significant, old, unfixed bugs inherited from previous
releases.

I would like to aim for fixing all Critical bugs. What are your thoughts?

Regards,
-Rick