db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: DERBY-800, lock scheduling issue?
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2006 19:37:24 GMT
The derby locking system implements livelock avoidance as you describe.
So if one or more xacts have a shared lock and then an exclusive
lock queues waiting for the resource, subsequent share locks will
wait behing the exclusive lock.  The only exception to this is the
case of compatible "release-immediate" locks, sometimes during
read committed scans we will request a shared lock and tell the lock
manager to logically grant and release it in one step.  In these
cases it will not queue behind the exclusive lock since it won't
get in its way.