db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Naming individuals in the subject line of posts
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2006 19:28:49 GMT
I just wanted to apologize for my 2 recent posts with names in
the subject line.  I didn't realize it was a problem.  I actually
didn't even mean to direct the posts to those people alone.

I had 2 goals with those posts.

1) Enlist discussion from the entire list about those 2 issues.  They
    are continuing regression test failures which could be causing
    problems for all developers.

2) I admit I did want to draw attention to those who had assigned
    themselves to the JIRA issues.  I figured that was a sort of
    accepted ownership of an issue.  I also didn't want to procede
    without their advice as it seemed likely since they had assigned
    themselves to the issue that they were in fact likely experts
    on those issues.

Can I ask advice on how best to achieve #2?
   o send direct private email asking about status?  Now the discussion
     is off the list.
   o post comments to JIRA entry asking for status?  Now
   o subject it with just JIRA entry and assume owner will read?

For me personally I have no problem with people directing a public
query to me about an issue I have assigned myself in JIRA.  I try
to only assign issues to myself that I am actively working on.

For the last couple of weeks my particular itch has been to try to
get the nightly test regressions under control.  But it has been
quite frustrating as I believe we are actually in worst shape now
than when I started (more new issues came in than were resolved).
I have to believe it is frustrating for new developers to be told
to run as set of tests and then spend time figuring out what are
the "acceptable" failures -- which have been around for weeks.