db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: Naming individuals in the subject line of posts
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2006 00:15:53 GMT
Øystein Grøvlen wrote:
> Kathey Marsden wrote:
>> Satheesh Bandaram wrote:
>>> One concern I have is how to draw attention of part-time experts more
>>> easily.
>>
>> Some thoughts on this ...
>>
>> - I think a clear subject like "Optimizer history and advice needed ..."
>> will usually do it.
>> - It is important to start a new thread with a relevant subject when
>> conversations branch. - If side pings are used as a last resort,
>> maybe they could take the
>> form of:  "You may be interested in the discussion at: <link>" so it is
>> clear there is no private reply needed.
>
> When doing such pings, one may also set Reply-To to derby-dev.  In my
> opinion, side pings are should be OK.  I cannot see how that should harm
> open discussions.  I am pretty sure that people on the list that are
> colocated remind each other in person when they are waiting for a
> response to an email.  So why would there be any issue with reminding
> remote developers off the list?

I don't think there are any issues with off-list reminders. Below are
the communication guidelines from
http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#management :

> Communication is done via mailing lists. These identify "virtual meeting rooms" where
conversations happen asynchronously, which is a general requirement for groups that are so
geographically distributed to cover all time zones (like it's normally the case for the various
Apache communities).

> Some projects additionally use more synchronous messaging (for example, IRC or instant
messaging). Voice communication is extremely rare, normally because of costs and the language
barrier (speech is harder to understand than written text).

> In general, asynchronous communication is much more important because it allows archives
to be created and it's more tolerant on the volunteer nature of the various communities.

The main thing is to keep the development discussions on list so
everyone can participate in and benefit from them. And, of course, code
decisions *must* be on list (
http://www.apache.org/foundation/faq.html#what-is-apache-NOT-about ).

-jean