db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Øystein Grøvlen <Oystein.Grov...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Naming individuals in the subject line of posts
Date Sun, 12 Feb 2006 05:33:55 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:
> Satheesh Bandaram wrote:
>

>>One concern I have is how to draw attention of part-time experts more
>>easily.
>>

> Some thoughts on this ...
>
> - I think a clear subject like "Optimizer history and advice needed ..."
> will usually do it.
> - It is important to start a new thread with a relevant subject when
> conversations branch.
> - If side pings are used as a last resort,  maybe they could take the
> form of:  "You may be interested in the discussion at: <link>" so it is
> clear there is no private reply needed.

When doing such pings, one may also set Reply-To to derby-dev.  In my
opinion, side pings are should be OK.  I cannot see how that should harm
open discussions.  I am pretty sure that people on the list that are
colocated remind each other in person when they are waiting for a
response to an email.  So why would there be any issue with reminding
remote developers off the list?

> - To manage the general volume, we could use subject tags: [OPTIMIZER],
> [DRDA] etc to make it easier.  I  could start a Wiki page  with some
> suggested (completely optional)  tags if that would be helpful.

Sounds like a good idea.  In order for it to be sucessful, most people
must remember to do this, and we need to get JIRA to add component to
the start of the subject.  Since the majority of emails are
JIRA-related, the latter is necessary for this to work.  The bug
reporting system I have used earlier have been able to do this, and it
has been extremely useful.

--
Øystein