db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: conditional shutdown of the database
Date Sat, 11 Feb 2006 18:48:40 GMT
Bryan Pendleton wrote:

>> No their issue is that the database remains booted after the connection
>> is closed.  They want to be able to shut it down after the test
>> connection iff there are no connections to the database.
>

> This seems like a nice feature to me.
>
> In other types of system software I've worked with, there is often the
> distinction between a "controlled" shutdown and an "immediate" shutdown,
> where the former means "finish up what you're doing now, but don't
> start anything new, then shut down", and the latter means
> "Shut.Down.Now."
>
> I even think that we should consider modifying the current shutdown
> command to mean "controlled" shutdown, and add a new command ("Halt"?
> "Abort"? "Quit"?) which is used to invoke the hard shutdown.

I'm not comfortable  changing  the current shutdown in that way at least
for embedded (which is what is at issue here).  Applications may be
depending on shutdown doing just that, even  if there are idle
connections hanging around.     I do think having a controlled
shutdown   is a good way to approach this and then we can throw a
different exception if the shutdown was not immediately successful.
For this user, they would like "shutdown =controlled" to mean
    -  Continue to allow new connections. Wait until all connections
disconnect. shutdown when there are no connections.

But I could see folks might want.more granularity of control, for
instance they might want to control whether the server will accept new
connections or not or might just want to wait until current transactions
complete.

Kathey