db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Naming individuals in the subject line of posts
Date Sat, 11 Feb 2006 04:30:50 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:

> Hi Jean,
>
> Some responses follow.
>
>> By focusing on a single individual are you likely to miss other
>> potential contributors who might be lurking?
>>

> I don't think there's a general rule here. For instance, if a reviewer
> has blocked your patch and forgotten to re-review your next submission,
> it's helpful to get the attention of that particular person.

Not really. If Fred has said "the patch needs to do Y", it doesn't
require Fred to confirm the patch has been modified to do Y. Others can
do that, multiple eyes on the code etc. If an actual veto is in place
then I think as a courtesy the veto owner should be given a chance to
lift it, but if they don't respond in a timely manner than it's fine to
lift the veto if their concerns have been addressed. Remember a valid
technical reason is required for a veto. If I veto a patch because, say
the code used String(byte) constructor, then if a new patch does not use
that constructor than the veto is no longer valid, without any input
from me.

I am worried by the trend I see that if a certain person has reviewed a
patch, follow on comments by the contributor seemed to be addressed to
that reviewer only. I would be much happier if the comments were
directed more generally, just because Jane reviews the code, doesn't
mean it's not valuable for others to review it. Each person brings an
individual valuable contribution to a review, a single person cannot see
all the possible issues with the code. I'll freely admit that I will
review a patch and check the embedded portion of it, but I'm much less
familiar with the network server or the client.

> I suppose
> you could engage in back-channel communication here, but isn't that worse?

I don't think anyone is suggesting this.

Dan.