db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: Naming individuals in the subject line of posts
Date Sat, 11 Feb 2006 03:55:49 GMT
Satheesh Bandaram wrote:
> Rick Hillegas wrote:
>

>>I don't see a big difference between summoning someone in the subject
>>line and summoning them in the body of the message. But I appreciate
>>your feelings that the former is more jarring. I guess I feel the
>>opposite way. It is jarring to me if I am summoned in the body of a
>>message which I overlooked because the subject didn't catch my eye.
>

> One concern I have is how to draw attention of part-time experts more
> easily. While many of us seem to be involved in Derby fulltime, reading
> pretty much every message till the end, we do see several part-time
> experts in specific areas. For example, how to best call on Jeremy to
> contribute to ClassLoading issues? Or ping Jeff Lichtman on optimizer
> history or advise? We do have to acknowledge DerbyDev volume is getting
> daunting... If there is a better or different way, then we could use
> that, I just can't think of it!

Even those of us involved fulltime don't always read each and every
email till the end.  --Or at least I don't seem to find the time, and
some things do fall through the cracks. :-)

Every now and then somebody forwards a post to me and asks if I've seen
it. Personally, I think off-list prods are fine. The main thing is for
the actual conversation to occur in public on-list.

 -jean