db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendle...@amberpoint.com>
Subject Re: conditional shutdown of the database
Date Sat, 11 Feb 2006 02:33:32 GMT
> No their issue is that the database remains booted after the connection
> is closed.  They want to be able to shut it down after the test
> connection iff there are no connections to the database.

This seems like a nice feature to me.

In other types of system software I've worked with, there is often the
distinction between a "controlled" shutdown and an "immediate" shutdown,
where the former means "finish up what you're doing now, but don't
start anything new, then shut down", and the latter means "Shut.Down.Now."

I even think that we should consider modifying the current shutdown
command to mean "controlled" shutdown, and add a new command ("Halt"?
"Abort"? "Quit"?) which is used to invoke the hard shutdown.

thanks,

bryan