db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Naming individuals in the subject line of posts
Date Sat, 11 Feb 2006 01:17:52 GMT
Jean T. Anderson wrote:

>By focusing on a single individual are you likely to miss other
>potential contributors who might be lurking?
>
>I don't think the subject line needs to be coy -- if it's carefully
>worded to convey what the post is about people with that interest will
>naturally be drawn to it -- and you might find some contributors emerge
>that you didn't expect. Currently there are 238 subscribers to derby-dev
>(see http://people.apache.org/~coar/mlists.html#db.apache.org).
>Carefully worded subject lines also make searching topics in archives
>easier.
>
>And if somebody isn't available, that's all the reason more for the
>subject line to not be exclusionary.

I was in Rick's camp for a while, but I  agree now that  subjects that
start with topics like

 JDBC 4.0 Spec clarification needed ....
Security Manager question...
JSR169 Issue...
Jira Question...
DRDA protocol question...
GRANT/REVOKE issue
Client Localization question
10.2 - When?...

etc...
will trigger the attention of the people you want to see the post,
trigger the attention of anyone interested in the topic, and  hopefully
avoid putting folks  on the spot if they are not prepared to answer.

Kathey