db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Sunitha Kambhampati <ksunitha...@gmail.com>
Subject Accept username of form xyz@somedomain.com
Date Sat, 11 Feb 2006 00:21:50 GMT
Hello All,

I have a case where the username can be  xyz@somedomain.com . The only
way I can get derby to accept this username is if I  quote it.  - ie
"xyz@domain.com". I think that it is possible for different
authentication mechanisms (e.g ldap) that are pluggable into derby, to
have username of the form xyz@somedomain.com.    I want to allow such
usernames.

If I try to connect, the error thrown is
    ij> connect
'jdbc:derby:testdb;create=true;user=skambha@xyz.com;password=a';
    ERROR 28502: The user name 'skambha@xyz.com' is not valid.

The first error is being thrown from this method in
org.apache.derby.impl.sql.conn.GenericLanguageConnectionContext#getAuthorizationId(String

username) This method calls the IdUtil.parseId() which will for an
unqualified id,  check if the string has only characters from a-z, A-Z
and _ and digits.
I want to remove this restriction for the username case.

So it would be like this once I remove the restriction.
ij version 10.2
ij> connect 'jdbc:derby:GHMDB;user=skambha@xyz.com;password=p';
ij> create table t2(i1 int);
0 rows inserted/updated/deleted
ij> select * from sys.sysschemas where schemaname='SKAMBHA@XYZ.COM';
SCHEMAID                            |SCHEMANAME
4d6f406a-0109-5672-a66d-000000143840|SKAMBHA@XYZ.COM

1 row selected
ij> select * from "SKAMBHA@XYZ.COM".t1;
I1

0 rows selected
ij>

Is this reasonable.   Thoughts/comments?

If noone objects, I will be posting a patch to address this.

Thanks,
Sunitha.