db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Naming individuals in the subject line of posts
Date Sat, 11 Feb 2006 00:15:56 GMT
Hi Jean,

I think that sometimes there's is no substitute for a response from a
particular individual, perhaps because of their expertise or keenness
for some issue. Somehow you have to cut through the blizzard of Derby
mail which buries all of our mailboxes. I don't see the point in being
coy about whose feedback you're seeking. To my way of thinking, naming
someone in the subject line is preferable to back-channel communication
and also to losing your query through the cracks. I have seen this
technique work on other large mailing lists. Sometimes you get a
response from a colleague telling you that the person you're trying to
reach is on vacation or otherwise unreachable. That's useful to know.

I understand your concern about people feeling cornered, but I think
that's part of the price you pay for being an expert. Personally, I
don't feel put off by these direct pages and I don't feel excluded from
responding if I have something to say. Also, I am not a big fan of
addressing people in the third person or through other indirection.

Both approaches (direct paging and indirect fishing) can be off-putting
in their own ways. I don't know how to fine-tune this, particularly
given all the warmth and emotional cues we lose by communicating through
email.

Regards,
-Rick