db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Naming individuals in the subject line of posts
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2006 20:15:40 GMT
Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> derby-dev seems to have developed a curious habit of sometimes naming
> specific individuals in the subject line of posts. I find it a bit
> jarring and suggest that we stop doing this. --Feel free to disagree and
> post so we can discuss.

+1 It's very much not the Apache way.

> Naming somebody directly in the subject might inhibit others from
> contributing, thinking that somehow the named individual "owns" that
> topic. Even if that individual *does* own some aspect of that topic, for
> example is a known subject matter expert or has assigned him or herself
> to a Jira issue, then it might make that individual feel cornered.

No-one owns anything at Apache. Even if someone has assigned themselves
a Jira issue someone else can always work on that item, submit a
different patch etc. Of course it's better if we collaborate so that
there are not competing patches, open communication helps here.

Dan.