db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Naming individuals in the subject line of posts
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2006 20:02:53 GMT
derby-dev seems to have developed a curious habit of sometimes naming
specific individuals in the subject line of posts. I find it a bit
jarring and suggest that we stop doing this. --Feel free to disagree and
post so we can discuss.

Naming somebody directly in the subject might inhibit others from
contributing, thinking that somehow the named individual "owns" that
topic. Even if that individual *does* own some aspect of that topic, for
example is a known subject matter expert or has assigned him or herself
to a Jira issue, then it might make that individual feel cornered.

Instead, think up a really snappy Subject line that is sure to get the
attention of all the "right" parties.

Don't forget that these posts live in the Apache mail archives forever
and also get mirrored at www.nabble.com, news.gmane.org, and who knows
wherever else.

 -jean