db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: conditional shutdown of the database
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2006 18:59:16 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

>Kathey Marsden wrote:
>

>>Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
>>

>>>What's the definition of inactive? No other connections, no other
>>>transactions active?
>>>

>>In this case, no other connections.
>>

>Hmm, I thought you had said they had some issue because the application
>had opened a test connection and never closed it. Maybe I misunderstood.

No their issue is that the database remains booted after the connection
is closed.  They want to be able to shut it down after the test
connection iff there are no connections to the database.

Here is the original text from the user:

We have run into an issue  where a simple test connection that customers
are used to will cause the database to be useless unless the   NODE is
rebooted.  When configuring Failover, there was one option to do a
stand-alone where if the fist  node fails the second will take on,
Customers typically would test the connection on each of the nodes which
point to the same database.  This is failing today because after the
first test, and even though the connection is closed, the database can't
be accessed by the second node (JVM).  The test connection GUI can't do
a shutdown since some other customers use it sometimes while
applications are running and shutting the database then will result in
breaking those APPS.

Kathey