db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: Holistic getting started approach
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2006 16:48:27 GMT
Øystein Grøvlen wrote:
> Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> If you look at the home pages for Torque or PostgreSQL you immediately
> get the feeling that these are home pages for a software products.  I
> think our homepage more gives the impression of being a home page for a
> development project.  I think this is the wrong approach.  Our "front
> page" should focus on attracting users of Derby.  The heading "The
> Apache Derby Project" appeals more to potential developers of Derby.
>
> Some suggestions:
> - The header should only say "Apache Derby".

great idea.

> - A table of contents make the page pretty dull.  I think the fact that
> we feel we need a TOC indicates that there are probably too much stuff
> on the front page.  (If you look at the Postgres front page, it is
> mostly links to other pages.)

forrest, the software used for generating the site, automatically
generates that TOC -- and I agree there's too much on this page,
especially since I added the "What is Derby?" and "Downloads" sections.  :-)

The charter itself belongs in a different page that is linked to from
this one. If there are no objections, I'll go ahead and make that change
sometime soon.

> - I do not know what is technically possible, but having more columns
> will bring more information to the top of the page.  At least on my
> laptop, I still have to scroll down to find the link to downloads and
> the news.
> - The fact that people are not able to find downloads in the menu on the
> left side, indicates that something is probably wrong with the design.
> Maybe the text is to small and does not show well due to the background
> color.

The page layout (including the menu and tabs) depends on the forrest
skin used. Right now the default skin is in place. Anyone should feel
free to test/develop/suggest other skins, keeping in mind that Derby is
using forrest 0.7 -- details are at
http://db.apache.org/derby/papers/derby_web.html . For example, ddlutils
and ojb use a different skin but if I remember right both those sites
are at forrest 0.6: see http://db.apache.org/ddlutils/ ,
http://db.apache.org/ojb/ . So just stick to forrest 0.7 features.

at any rate, if anyone wants to suggest a new skin, that'd be great --
go for it!

 -jean