db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From TomohitoNakayama <tomon...@basil.ocn.ne.jp>
Subject Re: DERBY-273, owner Tomohito Nakayama, Is it time to move this test out of the nightly regression suite?
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2006 16:44:50 GMT
Hello.

About this issue, I think we should be very careful about removing any
sign of problem...

My intention is to add test implemented by DERBY-511, compensating for
ignoring shutting down exception in DERBY-273.

My position was watching response of other persons for DERBY-511  ...
Well ... There were almost no response .

If there were no response in days,
I will commit DERBY-511 and
alter standard input/output where ignorable shutting down exception was
printed, as discussed in DERBY-273,
under the concept of lazy vote.

// Comments:
//
// I have some doubt in just removing output of errors ,which we can
ignore,  just aiming the goal.
// I feel this kind of goal is just goal for goaling, and not the goal
to reduce the problem.
//
// I think purpose of testing is *not* getting the result of "no error" ,
// but to try running program in many circumstances to find and fix
problems.
// Therefore, in some cases, it may be correct to pass the result of
testing which have some ignorable errors.
//
// If we can ignore them , we should just ignore them and no need to remove.
// Though the ignorable errors may be annoying, I think these errors may
tell us some failure in unknown circumstance ...
// It would be just matter of time and effort for handling errors.
//
// Well. This would be *my* persistence and not others thought. And I
don't think this my opinion is absolute.
// I won't veto others, who believe it is no problem ,to remove
ignorable errors.
// // It may be also truth that ignorable errors makes the result
illegible...
//
// // However, I noticed that it would be the right answer , to write
the information about ignorable errors in Wiki and ignore them,
// // instead of removing them. How do others think ... ?

Best regards.

--
/*

        Tomohito Nakayama