db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Derby regression/compatibility
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2006 16:36:02 GMT
David W. Van Couvering wrote:

> Hi, Kathey.  Sun is very very committed to compatibility; Solaris, for
> example, has been binary compatible since release 2.0 some umpteen
> years ago.  Not only is this a key benefit to customers, I believe it
> is what has made it possible for Solaris to even make it out the door
> on a regular, reliable schedule, because it has so many interdependent
> components. If compatibility was broken willy nilly we'd have three
> months of "the build is *still* broken" at every release cycle :)
>
> I can't really do a link for our internal docs, as our internal folks
> require these "interface contracts" to be committed to an internal
> repository.  But I would be very happy to work with you all on the
> Wiki page describing our interfaces and the level of stability the
> Derby team is committed to for each interface.  It would help with a
> lot of these discussions and help keep awareness of this high within
> the community.

Actually I was thinking the other way around.  Make up documents for
"interface contracts" for Derby which can be debated and accepted,  then
link or cut and paste that into whatever internal format/repository
format you have.  Making sure the  committment starts  in the Derby
community  is the only way to guarantee it to your internal customers in
an open source environment.

Anyway, the Wiki is a good start.  I do plan to make  a page for 10.2 of
changes that might affect existing applications.  (We actually have
quite a few) to try to help the user community prepare.  I am behind on
that like everything else #:(.  At least it sounds like the days  the
massive regression marketted as an "edge case" like,  "Let's break all
the existing clients in the world for the sake of a pretty product id"
are over and life as the Lorax will be easier for me.

Kathey