db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "David W. Van Couvering" <David.Vancouver...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Derby regression/compatibility
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2006 16:01:49 GMT
Hi, Kathey.  Sun is very very committed to compatibility; Solaris, for
example, has been binary compatible since release 2.0 some umpteen years
ago.  Not only is this a key benefit to customers, I believe it is what
has made it possible for Solaris to even make it out the door on a
regular, reliable schedule, because it has so many interdependent
components. If compatibility was broken willy nilly we'd have three
months of "the build is *still* broken" at every release cycle :)

I can't really do a link for our internal docs, as our internal folks
require these "interface contracts" to be committed to an internal
repository.  But I would be very happy to work with you all on the Wiki
page describing our interfaces and the level of stability the Derby team
is committed to for each interface.  It would help with a lot of these
discussions and help keep awareness of this high within the community.

David