db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: small ,incremental, independent patches
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2006 15:17:03 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:

Great post - thanks.

> The solution, I think, is  we need to grease the track for patches
> coming in.

  0) Developers need to communicate to and discuss with derby-dev their
  thoughts, issues and direction for a patch, improvement or feature.
  The derby-dev list is your development team, use it as a resource.

> 1)  Developers need to keep patches as small, incremental, and
> independent as possible so that they are easy to review and commit.
And more communication is good here, any reviewers are not mind-readers,
we can't tell if a patch is meant to completely solve the issue or is an
incremental development, either is fine but we need to be told.
Hopefully if 0) is followed then we will understand the concepts behind
the fix, if not we can be guessing as to what approach the developer was
taking and that's a rich source of misunderstanding.

> 2) More non-committers need review and test changes and clearly
> indicate  that they feel they are ready to commit.
I assume this means non-committers should get involved with other
people's patches and review them. Great merit building for being a
committer.

> 3) Committers need to be more responsive. We are getting more committers
> so this should help.
> 4) We need reporting on the aging of patches.  (We added that check box
> but I am still trying to figure out how to query on it)

Thanks,
Dan.