db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: conditional shutdown of the database
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2006 04:27:45 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:

>  I had asked on the user list if anyone had any ideas about how  a user
> could conditionally shutdown a database, so that the shutdown would only
> occur if there were no active connections to the database.  I could not
> think of any way for the user to do this so am thinking of possibilities
> for a solution on the development side.
>
> My thought is that we could allow a different value  for the shutdown
> attribute.
>
> shutdown=ifInactive  ( or better name)
>
> and for the embedded DataSources, add
> setShutdown("ifInactive")
>
> Does this seem like a reasonable enhancement?  I haven't researched it
> really, but thought I would first see if there were objections.

What's the definition of inactive? No other connections, no other
transactions active? If it was no transactions then wouldn't a select
from the transaction table returning no rows almost fulfill the same
purpose?

I've often thought that a auto-shutdown based upon lack of activity
would be a good thing, it would help to be tied in with auto-matic
checkpointing/data flushing, maybe along the lines of what Raymond is
thinking.

Dan.