db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Paging Lance: Closing result sets on exception
Date Thu, 09 Feb 2006 15:09:27 GMT
David W. Van Couvering wrote:

> That said, I am trying to answer the question to the new metadata call
>
> autoCommitFailureClosesAllResultSets()
>
> where the javadoc states
>
> "Retrieves whether a SQLException while autoCommit is true inidcates
> that all open ResultSets are closed, even ones that are holdable. When a
> SQLException occurs while autocommit is true, it is vendor specific
> whether the JDBC driver responds with a commit operation, a rollback
> operation, or by doing neither a commit nor a rollback. A potential
> result of this difference is in whether or not holdable ResultSets are
> closed."
>
> Based on this javadoc, it looks like our answer should be "false."  But
> is this the correct interpretation?  Is there a better way to test this?
>  I feel like I'm not quite understanding the intention of this metadata
> call.

Given that definition I would say that a strict interpretation would
result in every JDBC driver from every vendor returning false. For
example if I have a ResultSet with three columns and I call getInt(4) I
will get a SQLException, but most likely in every driver it is a local
check that doesn't communicate to the database engine, and so does not
close ResultSets.

Does this mean that this call should be clarified before the spec is
finalized.

Dan.