db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Stanley Bradbury <Stan.Bradb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Derby - sysinfo call hangs
Date Wed, 08 Feb 2006 18:10:05 GMT

***************** SNIP *************

>Here is more information when I run the "NetworkServerControl ping"
>command in a loop.  The process eventually hangs.  The CPU is quiet when
>the process hangs.
>

>1) Derby.log
>
>Connection number: 2506.
>Connection number: 2507.
>Connection number: 2508.
>Connection number: 2509.
>
>2) Output from runtimeinfo when process hangs.
>
>--- Cloudscape Network Server Runtime Information ---
>---------- Session Information ---------------
>Session # :2511

># Connection Threads : 3
># Active Sessions : 1
># Waiting  Sessions : 0
>
>Total Memory : 5110272  Free Memory : 2476784
>

>3) Here is the sysinfo when it executes properly....
>

>--------- Cloudscape Network Server Information --------
>Version: CSS10000/10.0.2.0  Build: 30301  DRDA Product Id: CSS10000
>-- listing properties --
>derby.drda.host=localhost
>derby.drda.portNumber=1527
>	derby.drda.startNetworkServer=false
>derby.drda.minThreads=1
>derby.drda.traceAll=false
>derby.drda.logConnections=false
>derby.drda.maxThreads=0
>derby.drda.timeSlice=0

information that is confidential and/or privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient,
please delete this transmission and any attachments and notify the sender by return email
immediately.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.

Hi Mark -
The noteworthy result is that the Network Server is not hanging - it
resonds to the 'runtimeinfo' request and I expect would respond to
'sysinfo' and accept other connections as well.  So the problem appears
to be with the client.  Are you running the client in the same JVM as
the server?  I found issue 300 regarding hangs in that configuration:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-300       (this problem only
reproduces on 1.3.1 jvms).

I searched for other known issues with NetworkServerControl on AIX but
found no clear 'smoking gun' so I can only speculate.  I note that you
are using the initial release of Derby (10.0.2.0) and a 1.3.1 JVM.
Please try your test with the most recent release of Derby and a 1.4.1
(or higher) JVM.  If upgrading the JVM is not an option please be sure
you are using the most recent JVM service release.  There are a number
of fixes that have been applied to the IBM 1.3.1 JVM that are important
for Derby to work reliably.  If the problem still occurs then there may
be a problem with the NetworkServerControl program and it would be great
if you filed a JIRA entry on this and attached your test case.

Please let me know what you find.