db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: debug reading system properties in BaseMonitor
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2006 20:44:54 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> Could you help brainstorm a workaround for the following issue:
>
> BaseMonitor, in a sane debug server, is calling System.getProperty() and
> getProperties() outside of a priv block. This raises a
> PropertyPermission exception when the EmbeddedDriver is loaded from a
> sane/debug jar file under jdk1.6. I notice this exception if I
> explicitly call Class.forName() on the EmbeddedDriver. However, I
> believe that this is also happening when the vm tries to autoload the
> driver at startup--I'm not sure because autoloading errors seem to be
> silently swallowed.

I think this is DERBY-623

The easiest thing to do would be to fix 623, it's simple.

I think your test is failing while others (I assume) run under jdk16 and
the security manager because it's a junit test. As the comments to 623
state the permissions are needed all the way up the stack, and these
permissions are not granted to the junit jar file by the testing policy
file.

Dan.