db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [patch] cleanup of org.apache.derby.iapi.services.cache.ClassSize
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2006 05:02:52 GMT
Kev Jackson wrote:

> Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
>
>> Kev Jackson wrote:
>>

>>> Following on from yesterdays post, here's a patch that tries to get this
>>> class to conform to the coding standards chosen by the Derby developers
>>>

>> Except that we have not chosen a coding standard. :-)
>>
>> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyContributorChecklist
>>

> In both coding standards listed (Java Code style from Sun and the
> Geronimo code style), this class does not conform to either style

Right, and Derby has not chosen either of those styles, the text is
correct in saying *individuals* have found those guides helpful.

> - also it's not good to have
> unused imports kicking around, it adds bloat to the code, and it's
> unnecessary, removing these wouldn't hurt regardless of the rest of the
> changes.

Agree there, removing unused imports is a good thing to do. Though they
don't do any harm to the runtime footprint, only the .java file and
cause yellow flags in Eclipse.

> Also I'm suprised that there isn't a defined style (regardless of
> whether I like it or not) - every single other open source project I've
> worked on (Java, C, Ruby, whatever) has had a style that submitted
> patches must conform to before they are considered for inclusion, and
> it's a little odd that Derby doesn't have this.

It's because no one has had a stong itch to enforce a coding style, and
come up with the rules/process for accepting a patch or not (do we want
to turn away contributions due to a coding style issue, do the
committers want to spend their time checking coding standards). Any
experience you want to bring from other projects would be great here.

Thanks,
Dan.