db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [patch] cleanup of org.apache.derby.iapi.services.cache.ClassSize
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2006 04:21:49 GMT
Kev Jackson wrote:
> Following on from yesterdays post, here's a patch that tries to get this
> class to conform to the coding standards chosen by the Derby developers

Except that we have not chosen a coding standard. :-)

and in another e-mail:
>  I'm willing to contribute as I'd like to learn a bit about how databases work under
the hood,
> but I can't stand the current code style and I'd like to know if this is an agreed upon
> or a legacy of the various owners of the codebase up to now.

The history of the code (from its inception over 8 years ago) was that
the only coding standard in force was to be clear, and don't make
changes in the code just for formatting sake. It was just not worth the
time originally to try and get everyone to agree on a single standard,
some people like braces one way, some the other, some like spaces in
different positions in loops or if statements etc, sometimes a single
rule is not applicable for all situations etc. etc.

The issue is that you say you can't stand the current code style, but
maybe someone else can't stand a code style you like, hard to please
everyone. :-)

Please do get involved in Derby, look at the jira issues marked with a
component of Newcomer, or fix a bug thet scratches your itch with Derby.
Many on the list will be willing to guide you, just ask.

> - remove unused import
> - change static final variables from camelCase to CONST_NAMES (except
> where they are public and could be used elsewhere BWC concern)
[just curious, what's BWC?]

> - add {} for conditionals
> - strip lots of extra white space

As Myrna said, these type of changes can cause problems for merges of
fixes across branches and also to others with existing edits against the
same files.

> As for the CLA/ICLA, I've already signed one (for ant), so do I need to
> sign another for Derby?

Nope, I belive a single ICLA at the ASF is sufficient.

View raw message