db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Army <qoz...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Paging Lance: format of empty result set
Date Fri, 03 Feb 2006 23:01:03 GMT

David W. Van Couvering wrote:
> OK, thanks.  I hadn't considered the RS metadata.

Just a note that the result set metadata should match the defined results
_exactly_.  Returning an int where a short is expected, or a char where a
varchar is expected, or a nullable column where a "not null" column is expected,
etc. etc. can cause existing applications a lot of problems--see DERBY-107.  Our
JDBC tests might not catch it, but my past experience is that ODBC applications
(esp. Microsoft ones like Access) will throw a fit if something is even slightly
off...

Army