db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: Holistic getting started approach
Date Fri, 03 Feb 2006 17:06:15 GMT
John Embretsen wrote:
> Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>

>> (3) It's hard to find the downloads
>>
>> I'm surprised by the number of requests I get which are "where are the
>> downloads?" Even though downloads are on the home tab, they clearly
>> aren't visible. So make downloads its own tab?
>>
>> The real estate of a web browser can accommodate only so many tabs, so
>> we have to choose carefully. I'm hoping to free up some time soon to
>> look more closely at each of these areas.
>

> That is somewhat surprising, yes. One alternative approach that might
> help (if adding a new "Downloads" tab is too much), is to add a
> "Downloads" section (with links to the real downloads page) high up on
> the main page (somewhere around "News" and "Derby Project Charter").
> Those headings are among the firsts things I notice when I go to
> http://db.apache.org/derby/. Just a thought.

That home page is another thing that could use serious redesign, :-)
something simpler that links to the charter.

Torque has a home page that provides a synopsis and a link to the most
current release:  http://db.apache.org/torque/ . (Moving that up after
their "What is Torque?" section would make it instantly visible.) And I
like the way JDO has the news on the home page (http://db.apache.org/jdo/).

So maybe a revamped Derby home page could have something like:

   What is Derby? (brief description and link to charter)
   Downloads
   News

  -jean