db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From John Embretsen <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Holistic getting started approach
Date Fri, 03 Feb 2006 10:37:31 GMT
Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> (3) It's hard to find the downloads
>
> I'm surprised by the number of requests I get which are "where are the
> downloads?" Even though downloads are on the home tab, they clearly
> aren't visible. So make downloads its own tab?
>
> The real estate of a web browser can accommodate only so many tabs, so
> we have to choose carefully. I'm hoping to free up some time soon to
> look more closely at each of these areas.

That is somewhat surprising, yes. One alternative approach that might
help (if adding a new "Downloads" tab is too much), is to add a
"Downloads" section (with links to the real downloads page) high up on
the main page (somewhere around "News" and "Derby Project Charter").
Those headings are among the firsts things I notice when I go to
http://db.apache.org/derby/. Just a thought.

--
John