db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "David W. Van Couvering" <David.Vancouver...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Holistic getting started approach
Date Fri, 03 Feb 2006 00:51:31 GMT
Hm.  You mention that *anybody* can update the Wiki.  Perhaps that's not
such a bad thing.  Postgres and PHP both have user-updatable
documentation, and this has become very valuable.

What if we had a controlled "official" version of the docs, and a
Wikified version of the docs that can be updated/appended to by anybody?

Here's a thought as to how to do that:

- Use Forrest's great MVC approach to generate a Wiki-friendly version
of the docs and publish this to the Wiki

- Allow users to annotate the docs on the Wiki site

- At next release, merge valuable user comments into the docs, and then
generate a new Wiki-friendly set for that version

The only downside is comments that we don't consider "valuable" would
get orphaned in prior version doc sets on the Wiki set.  But maybe
that's OK...

Thoughts?

David