db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Sunitha Kambhampati <ksunitha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Holistic getting started approach
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2006 22:39:58 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
< snip - lots of great stuff>

>Can these jars be executed directly, I thought on windows one could
>double-click a jar file and have it run right away, doesn't seem to
>happen on my machine though?

I found this on http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/jar/jarGuide.html

"On Microsoft Windows systems, the Java 2 Runtime Environment's
installation program will register a default association for Jar files
so that double-clicking a Jar file on the desktop will automatically run
it with javaw -jar. Dependent extensions bundled with the application
will also be loaded automatically. This feature makes the end-user
runtime environment easier to use on Microsoft Windows systems"

On Win2k, I can/tried to register the default association for the jar
(derbynet.jar) file with javaw.exe, but not sure how to give the
argument -jar..  anyone know ?

Thanks,
Sunitha.