db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Discussion of how to map the recovery time into Xmb of log --Checkpoint issue
Date Wed, 01 Feb 2006 22:17:13 GMT
Hi Mike,

A question totally on the side of this discussion: Do you, or anyone
else, have any opinion about how the "runtime performance" of Derby
would be affected by not having checkpoints at all, say for a large
database (around 20 GB) and 0.5 GB of page cache in a disk-bound
application load?

Is the Derby background-writer (and Clock.java) written/designed to
handle such "extreme cases" without major performance degradation?
Any information on the goal/function of the background-writer?
What mechanisms would kick in when the page-cache is full and Derby
needs slots for new pages?

I do know this is not a smart way to handle things, I'm just curious
what people think about this! And I am not seeking answers about long
recovery times and log disk space usage ;)

--
Kristian