db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Bernt M. Johnsen" <Bernt.John...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: default holdability
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2006 18:16:16 GMT
Hi all,

Allthough I agree that backwards compatability is important, I find
the current default unfortunate for several reasons:
1) As Anreas points out: The architecture seems to be designed for
   non-holdable cursors (in agreement with the old Cloudscape
   default).
2) Cursors in the SQL standard defaults to non-holdable
3) It does not fit very well with global transactions

And I am not convinced that very many exsisting apps depend on
resultsets being holdable without being explicit in the JDBC calls.

> Hi,
>
> Daniel John Debrunner <djd@apache.org> writes:
>
> > The JDBC 3.0 spec is silent on this, sections 14.1.1 and 14.1.2 describe
> > what can be done when a ResultSet type or concurrency is not supported.
> > However in 14.1.3 there is no comment about what can be done when a
> > requested holdability is not supported. Also ResultSet does not have a
> > getHoldability method to allow the application to determine if its
> > request was honoured or not.
> >
> > I just can't see the value in changing the default behaviour and
> > affecting existing applications because holdability is not supported in
> > two cases.
>
> I agree with Dan on this one. Rather than risk breaking existing apps,
> for SUR, we should just document this for now; hopefully we can find a
> solution for holdable SUR also, along the lines Mike outlined (by
> invalidating open result sets when inline compress happens), so the
> restriction can be lifted.
>
> Thanks,
> Dag
>

> > I seem to remember that most users assumed Cloudscape in the past
> > supported holdable results sets and expected it to be the default. They
> >  were suprised when it didn't.
> >
> > Dan.
> >

> --
> Dag H. Wanvik
> Sun Microsystems, Database Technology Group (DBTG)
> Haakon VII gt. 7b, N-7485 Trondheim, Norway
> Tel: x43496/+47 73842196, Fax:  +47 73842101

Sun Microsystems, Trondheim, Norway