db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Levitt <de...@mylevita.com>
Subject [doc] Derby DITA documentation source DTD declarations
Date Thu, 16 Feb 2006 21:04:24 GMT
Hi all,

I noticed that in the DITA doc source files that we
have DTD declarations at the top that look like this:

<!DOCTYPE reference PUBLIC "-//IBM//DTD DITA
Reference//EN"
 "../dtd/reference.dtd">

Note that the declarations have the word "IBM" in
them.  This is because they are based on an old DTD
that DITA used before it was contributed to the open
source OASIS foundation.  Currently, the correct OASIS
DTD declaration looks like this:

<!DOCTYPE reference PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DITA
Reference//EN"
 "reference.dtd">

While I dont see any problems with the old IBM
declaration right now, we will miss out on features in
the future if we dont migrate to the new OASIS
declaration.  We could do a search and replace, but
we'd have to be sure to do it correctly.  I dont think
this is a crucial requirement right now, so
alternatively I suggest that as doc contributors
submit patches to doc code, they should change the
declaration to the files they change as they go.  It
wont hurt anything to have different DTD declarations
in different files, and this solution allows us to
continue to work on the files without having to commit
time and resources to a migration.

If no one has any problems with this, I'll begin
submitting patches with the new declaration.  Also, is
there some place we can make this directive
moreprominent so future contributors will see it?  Any
suggestions?

Of course, if someone wants to make a script that
fixes the problem, that's alright too.  It would
require changing the word "IBM" in the declaration to
"OASIS", and the "../" before the concept.dtd,
reference.dtd, and task.dtd to be removed.

Jeff