db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Bernt M. Johnsen" <Bernt.John...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Jira attachments - please don't delete
Date Thu, 16 Feb 2006 17:12:51 GMT

> I notice that some folks are deleting jira attachements when they attach
> a new version of a patch or functional/design spec. I personally think
> this should not be encouraged, it's sometimes helpful to have the
> history of the patch and especially helpful to have the history of a spec.
>
> Does anyone think it's a good idea to delete old attachements?

That depends. If old attchments are kept, it is verfy important with
names that clearly states wether
1) it is a new version of a patch (use e.g. v1 v2 etc in the
   name. Especially remember to use v1 in the *first* one.)
2) it is an addition to another patch or
3) it is one of several sub-patches.

Today, very often, you have to browse through the comments to figure
this out.

Also: in the comments, we should be catious to name the patch instead
of writing "this", "new" or "latest", which after som new patches and
comments are of very little value.

Sun Microsystems, Trondheim, Norway