db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Dyre.Tjeldv...@Sun.COM
Subject Re: Failures in latest revisions
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2006 10:14:04 GMT
>>>>> "DWVC" == David W Van Couvering <David.Vancouvering@Sun.COM> writes:

    DWVC> I am not suggesting regular emails.  But I also doubt that developers,
    DWVC> who are all quite busy, are going to remember to regularly check the
    DWVC> results.

    DWVC> What I'd like to see is somebody who volunteers to monitor the page and
    DWVC> send an email out if things are getting out of hand.  I would leave it
    DWVC> to the judgement of the volunteer to identify what "out of hand" means.
    DWVC>  Personally, if more than three to five tests are failing in derbyall
    DWVC> then I think we have a problem.  Or if we are seeing a general increase
    DWVC> in failures rather than a decrease.

Hi David,

I see that you have gotten quite a few replies already, but I just
wanted to share two tricks that I find very useful:

1) If I get bogged down with test failures that I THINK are unrealated
   to the fix I'm working on, I check
   to find the last revision in which the test (or suite) ran cleanly
   on my platform. Then I do svn update -r <clean-revision> and run
   the test and continue developing. (Whether a clean derbyall obtained in
   this way is good enough to check stuff in, is another matter. It will
   obviously not work if your changes depend on something committed
   after the last clean revision).

2) To figure out "who to blame" you can do svn log -r
   <last-clean-revision>, which will give you the checkin messages for
   checkins since the last clean revision. (You can narrow your search
   by doing svn log -r <clean-revision>:<first-bad-revision>)

View raw message