db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Jeffrey Lichtman <swa...@rcn.com>
Subject Re: Enabling optimizer trace
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2006 06:37:02 GMT

>I am curious about your statement "This tracing feature is intended
>for developers who are debugging optimizer problems. I don't believe
>it should ever be exposed as a supported feature....".

As soon as you expose a feature you have to support it, which means
documentation, compatibility issues, user handholding, etc. Since the
optimizer trace output doesn't mean anything to someone who doesn't
know the guts of the optimizer, I would say we're better off just
letting developers know it exists.

                        -        Jeff Lichtman
                                 swazoo@rcn.com
                                 http://swazoo.com/