db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: testing using remote host
Date Mon, 30 Jan 2006 03:39:14 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:

> Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

>>I don't see why database creation would fail, the policy file has
>>permissions to create databases under ${derby.system.home} and ${user.dir}.
>>

> I think the network server knows nothing about the test it is running or
> what directories to create.
> Consider this URL.
> jdbc:derby:net://my.remotehost.com:1527/wombat;user=howardR;password=takeItEasy
>
> Network server just has the derby.system.home it was started with and
> gets a database name "wombat", so all the tests that use that database
> name share a database.  In local mode network server is restarted for
> each test in the appropriate directory.

I think all that you say is true, but I don't see how it relates to not
having the permission to create a database. As far as I understand when
running the tests in the normal fashion a test will create its database in:

  ${derby.system.home} when useProcess not set (process mode)
  ${user.dir} when useProcess=false

Now in the process mode the value of derby.system.home changes for each
test (e.g. it's equal to ${user.dir}/insert when running the single test
lang/insert.sql), but that doesn't affect the permissions granted,
because they are granted relative to ${derby.system.home}.
The as far as Derby is concerned the location of the test wombat
database is the same in remote and process mode, it's
${derby.system.home}/wombat.

Dan.