db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: testing using remote host
Date Mon, 30 Jan 2006 02:49:48 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

>The text in 4.14 scared me as it seems the setup for test when running
>in remote mode is very different to running normally, thus increasing
>the chance for some change to a test to break it in remote mode. Thus it
>may be a never ending battle to keep the remote tests running.

It seems like all of the conditions are a function of either
restrictions on remote access or useprocess itself, e.g. the need for
database cleanup and the location of the extin files.   It seems like
ideally we would want those tests that run remotely to always run with
useprocess=false when running with network server (or embedded for that
manner). Then the needed test maintenance will be caught as a matter of
normal development.
[snip]

>I don't see why database creation would fail, the policy file has
>permissions to create databases under ${derby.system.home} and ${user.dir}.

I think the network server knows nothing about the test it is running or
what directories to create.
Consider this URL.
jdbc:derby:net://my.remotehost.com:1527/wombat;user=howardR;password=takeItEasy

Network server just has the derby.system.home it was started with and
gets a database name "wombat", so all the tests that use that database
name share a database.  In local mode network server is restarted for
each test in the appropriate directory.

Kathey