db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: testing using remote host
Date Mon, 30 Jan 2006 01:32:05 GMT

The text in 4.14 scared me as it seems the setup for test when running
in remote mode is very different to running normally, thus increasing
the chance for some change to a test to break it in remote mode. Thus it
may be a never ending battle to keep the remote tests running.

Myrna van Lunteren wrote:

> The current test harness will try to create databases in subdirectories,
> with the name of the test. Also, the derby_tests.policy file gets copied
> to the correct test dir and accessed through there. I envisaged that
> without useprocess=false, creation of databases would have failed.

I don't see why database creation would fail, the policy file has
permissions to create databases under ${derby.system.home} and ${user.dir}.

> Even
> if we'd have directories created by hand beforehand, we'd still have a
> problem because the derby_tests.policy file normally gets copied to a
> proper place in the test directories and as this doesn't happen on the
> remote host, we'd have incorrect file permissions...

I don't understand what you are trying to say here. The location of the
policy file (I think) doesn't matter, as long as it is pointed to by

> Also, it seemed to me that as the actual network interaction was bigger,
> it made sense to speed up the process by having as much as possible
> reuse of databases; but that was more of a side-issue.

Right, that's a separate issue, if we could speed up tests by running
them with useProcess=false than that should be done independent of
running remote or not.

Thanks for the info.

View raw message