db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From John Embretsen <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Tagline for Derby
Date Thu, 26 Jan 2006 10:47:11 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:

> I think  no tagline would be fine.
>
> I noticed, however, that a Google search  for "open source database"
> did not hit our website in at least the first 10 pages, but did see many
> other open source database alternatives  there.  I am guessing that tag
> line would add us to the search, but perhaps there is something else we
> could do with our website to put us there.

I noticed the following when repeating Kathey's search query on Google:

* MySQL AB and Postgre SQL are the top two results
* As far as I can see, neither of them include a tagline in their logo
images (except "Powered by..." logos for web page authors)
* However, they both include a tagline in the HTML <title> attribute  of
their main web pages, as well as a well-placed (text) tagline on the top
of the respective main pages.
* I was looking for meta-tags with taglines in the source of these web
pages, but could not find any - which is why I think the <title> tag is
crucial in order to get a high search engine ranking.

Go look for yourselves what the taglines/titles for the top to search
hits are - I think the statements they make are rather bold ("The
World's most <insert your favorite adjective here> database").

I think changing/expanding the <title> tag and adding some tagline-text
(outside the logo image) on the main page is the way to go for Derby
too. Currently the title of the main Derby page is "The Apache Derby
Project", which does not help us much when it comes to search engine
rankings for queries like "open source database".

This way, we can avoid potential issues with the logo itself not being
suitable for non-English speaking people/countries, and potential
trademark issues.

We still have to decide upon a good, unproblematic tagline, but since
that will not be a part of the logo itself, I think it will be easier to
manage and, if needed, internationalized. For now, I see no issues with
having a tagline (as described above) in English, as long as the rest of
the Apache Derby web page and most of the documentation is in English only.

My 2 cents,

--
John