db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Features of the JUnit test execution harness
Date Wed, 25 Jan 2006 22:51:32 GMT

> Kristian Waagan wrote:
>

>> 2) Should we support setting up a shared test fixture for a set of
>> tests?
>>
>> This is a common issue with JUnit, and there are mechanisms to handle
>> it. For instance, we could let tests that require this to wrap itself
>> in a TestSetup instance (as described in the JUNit FAQ). Letting
>> DerbyJUnitTest extend TestSetup is another solution, but it might
>> have unwanted side-effects.

Hi Kristian,

I'm afraid I don't understand the issues here. I suspect your JUnit
experience is much deeper than mine. What is the advantage to having
DerbyJUnitTest extend TestSetup vs TestCase? It's hard to tell from the
FAQ. TestCase provides setup() and teardown() brackets like TestSetup.
In addition, TestCase provides the assertion machinery. What unwanted
side-effects do you have in mind?

Thanks,
-Rick