db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Working with security policy
Date Mon, 23 Jan 2006 17:44:51 GMT
David W. Van Couvering wrote:

> Well, that doesn't seem completely fair.  If I am adding new, valuable
> functionality that requires new permissions, I think it's reasonable
> to add them to the list.  How would I get my classloader work in, for
> instance?

I  think you are right that  new functionality might indeed need to
require new permissions, but existing tests and functionality should run
with the currently documented permissions.  I am not sure what
functionality your classloader work adds, but tests for the new product
functionality might reasonably require new permissions.  Existing tests
should just work with the currently  documented permissions.   I  don't
think internal improvements like code sharing infrastructure could
justify requiring  permissions that Sun describes as "extremely
dangerous" across the board.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/security/permissions.html

Kathey