db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "David W. Van Couvering" <David.Vancouver...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: svn commit: r370815 [1/2] - in /db/derby/code/trunk: ./ java/build/org/apache/derbyBuild/ java/client/org/apache/derby/client/am/ java/client/org/apache/derby/loc/ java/engine/org/apache/derby/iapi/error/ java/engine/org/apache/derby/iapi/reference/ ja...
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2006 18:23:32 GMT
Yes, I came to the conclusion that the whole feature management
framework was just too complex and error-prone.  I am of the strong
opinion now that any solution we come up with for shared code should not
rely upon backward/forward compatibility guarantees and associated
frameworks.

I think we have two good possibilities, one we know that works but is a
bit unintuitive (the code copying solution proposed by Kathey) and the
classloader work (which I have working for the most part but which does
add complexity to Derby).  If the classloader solution is not
acceptable, we can fall back to code copying.  Although any solution put
forward will need to go to a vote.

David