db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cleaning up test failures
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2006 15:26:02 GMT
Øystein Grøvlen wrote:

>     DJD> Satheesh Bandaram wrote:
>     >> Good writeup. How do we address issue of platform specific failures? I
>     >> don't have access to SunOS or CYGWIN platforms, so I may not be able to
>     >> fix problems on those platforms.
>     DJD> In my opinion that's the itch of anyone who cares about that specific
>     DJD> platform. If a contributor has done a best effort to write platform
>     DJD> independent code and the tests pass for them on windows and/or linux
>     DJD> then I think it's an acceptable contribution.
> Having all tests pass is for me a much stronger itch than many itches
> for lacking features.  It does not seem right to allow people to
> scratch their own itches in a way that creates itches for others.  If
> the amount of work required by others to make a test pass on other
> platforms is low, I think it is OK to accept the contribution.
> Otherwise, such contributions should be rejected.

I think we are saying the same thing. Depends on your definition of low.
If all tests on a contributor's patch pass on linux, windows, open
solaris etc. but only fails on something like a 16-way Sun machine or an
IBM mainframe, then it's going to be near impossible for a contributor
working from home on their linux Dell machine to solve that issue.

I see that as the itch of whoever cares about Derby running on that
platform. The HTTP server has a similar issue with building the server:

The current source code tree should be capable of complete compilation
at all times. However, it is sometimes impossible for a developer on one
platform to avoid breaking some other platform when a change is
committed, particularly when completing the change requires access to a
special development tool on that other platform. If it is anticipated
that a given change will break some other platform, the committer must
indicate that in the commit log.

Again, reasonable effort to do the right thing, that's really all we can
ask. The collection of people's itches make up the complete Derby.

View raw message