db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Satheesh Bandaram <sathe...@Sourcery.Org>
Subject Re: Grant and Revoke, Part I ... DERBY-464...
Date Mon, 09 Jan 2006 07:42:56 GMT
<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
We could use 'defaultConnectionMode' property to store secureMode like
you said, but ..<br>
<ol>
  <li>What would happen if a user tries to set the value to
'fullAccess' or 'readOnlyAccess' in a secure database? Should we catch
the case and raise an error since otherwise the database would switch
to being a legacy database.<br>
  </li>
  <li>While I am not promising migration from secure database to legacy
database, overloading this property will make the value being lost if
someone adds logic to provide this migration later and if someone tries
to do a roundtrip of a database from legacy mode... </li>
</ol>
Satheesh<br>
Francois Orsini wrote:
 cite="mid7921d3e40601061559r288367cco9e572d4602ed7d2e@mail.gmail.com"
 type="cite">Sounds good.<br>
Where would you persist the secureMode value?<br>
I guess it would then be ok to consider 'defaultConnectionMode' to be
legacy only unless you are thinking of still using it to store
secureMode value? Could you clarify please.<br>
--francois<br>
Bandaram</b> &lt;<a href="mailto:satheesh@sourcery.org">satheesh@sourcery.org</a>&gt;
wrote:</span>
 style="border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left:
1ex;">
I have been thinking if use of properties is the right way to chose
sqlStandard security mode or legacy mode... Properties are meant to be
more dynamic in nature and since I don't yet plan to allow switching
between SqlStandard mode (with support for Grant and Revoke) to legacy
mode.<br>
I think use of URL property to indicate which security mode is wanted
during a database create time is more natural. If one wishes to create
a database with support for Grant and Revoke, it could be specified by
a URL attribute like secureMode.<br>
If secureMode is not specified, current default of legacy mode database
without grant/revoke capability would be created in 10.2 release. If
secureMode is true, a database with support for grant/revoke statements
is created. In this database, property value of 'defaultConnectionMode'
is a no-op.<br>
We could also use this mechanism to trigger a legacy database migration
to sqlStandard security mode. During booting of a legacy database with
secureMode=true could trigger this migration in security mode. <br>
Any thoughts or comments?<br>
Satheesh</span>
Satheesh Bandaram wrote:<br>
 type="cite"> Let us look at the issues and some assumptions. A
solution may follow
from it and this definitely needs some debate. The assumptions here are
my proposals only.<br>
      <ol>
        <li>My current proposal (attached to Jira) would allow
migrating
databases from legacy security mode into sqlStandard mode, but not the
otherway.</li>
        <li>It is preferred to avoid change in behavior to existing
applications that may be using defaultConnectionMode.</li>
        <li>Current default value for defaultConnectionMode is
'fullAccess'
and not going to be changed to sqlStandard for 10.2 release. I do think
some feedback on how sqlStandard mode is working is needed before any
changes.<br>
        </li>
        <li>It is possible to have some databases in legacy security
mode
and
some in sqlStandard mode in any installation.</li>
        <li>sqlStandard mode is likely going to be the default mode at
some
in the future and likely preferred if not the only mode at long time
later.</li>
      </ol>
Are these the likely goals for a solution? We could use
derby.database.propertiesOnly to override system properties with
database properties, but that would change all properties, right?<br>
Satheesh<br>
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:<br>
 type="cite">
        <pre>I'm not sure about this, I can't find what Satheesh is refering to when
he said 'Dan raised an important question ...'.

I found one comment by me in the thread where I was talking about system
properties in general.

Databases do have an existing way to override system properties, by
setting the database property derby.database.propertiesOnly

<a
 href="http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.1/tuning/rtunproper24390.html"
 target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.1/tuning/rtunproper24390.html</a>

Dan.
  </pre>