db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From John Embretsen <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Debugging StackOverflowError
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2006 17:10:59 GMT
David Van Couvering wrote:

> - Anybody know how to track down a StackOverflowError that won't give you a stack trace?

This may not be of much help, but:

I don't know which java version you are using, but the newest Mustang
(Java SE 6) snapshot release ( https://mustang.dev.java.net/ ) might
reveal some extra useful information.

The Mustang VM tries to include the stack trace when an OutOfMemoryError
occurs, so maybe there's a similar feature for StackOverflowErrors?
http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/alanb?entry=outofmemoryerror_looks_a_bit_better

Browsing through the blog at
http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/sundararajan?entry=observability_highlights_of_mustang
I wasn't able to find a direct answer to your question, but some of the
tools listed there might be worth a try.

The Java 5 Troubleshooting Guide may also provide some helpful information:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5/pdf/jdk50_ts_guide.pdf

--
John