db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew McIntyre <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: jdbcapi/secureUsers1.sql can fail ( & LDAP authentication)
Date Fri, 13 Jan 2006 17:47:34 GMT

On Jan 13, 2006, at 7:00 AM, Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

> Either we need the test to set up a local open source ldap server,
> or is there a public ldap
> server we could use? Any other ideas?

Bigfoot.com used to have a searchable LDAP server for their free
accounts. Alas, it appears to be no more. It's not exactly nice to
use somebody else's machine resources for our testing purposes
anyway, at least not without asking.

Including an LDAP server for the test would seem the better choice,
since then the tests wouldn't rely on any resources outside of the
machine where those tests are running. But, ApacheDS weighs in at
5.5MB, which is a lot of footprint to add to the testing jar for a
single test. :-)

If the DB PMC had a zone, we could set up an LDAP server there.

There are other publicly browsable LDAP servers. See http://
www.emailman.com/ldap/public.html
But because the data is read-only for the public, and the data in the
directory can change, I'm not sure that it is really useful for our
needs.

Other than that, I guess somebody could set up a public LDAP server
for our testing needs on their own. I personally don't have the
resources to do that.

andrew