db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From John Embretsen <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Tagline for Derby
Date Thu, 26 Jan 2006 17:06:43 GMT
Thursday, January 26, 2006, 5:28:02 PM CET, Jean T. Anderson wrote:

>> I noticed the following when repeating Kathey's search query on Google:
>> * MySQL AB and Postgre SQL are the top two results
>> * As far as I can see, neither of them include a tagline in their logo
>> images (except "Powered by..." logos for web page authors)
>> * However, they both include a tagline in the HTML <title> attribute  of
>> their main web pages, as well as a well-placed (text) tagline on the top
>> of the respective main pages.
>> * I was looking for meta-tags with taglines in the source of these web
>> pages, but could not find any - which is why I think the <title> tag is
>> crucial in order to get a high search engine ranking.
>> Go look for yourselves what the taglines/titles for the top to search
>> hits are - I think the statements they make are rather bold ("The
>> World's most <insert your favorite adjective here> database").

> I wonder how much of this is due to the purchase of key words:
> https://adwords.google.com/select/

> Here's an extract from that page:

> "With Google AdWords you create your own ads, choose keywords to help us
> match your ads to your audience and pay only when someone clicks on them."

> I too did a search for "open source database", noticed the hits under
> noticed that those links seemed to be at the top of the search results.
>   But I haven't looked into this, so don't have a good understanding of
> how it works. It may be that since those sponsored links are already
> handy, they appear first?

Well, according to Google: "And though we do run relevant ads above and
next to our results, Google does not sell placement within the results
themselves (i.e., no one can buy a higher PageRank)."

Besides, when I search for "open source database", I do not see the
correlation between normal search results and the sponsored links that
you mention. For example, neither MySQL AB nor PostgreSQL appear among
the sponsored links (though I guess this may vary depending on your
location and what not).

I don't think the Google PageRank algorithm is in public domain, but it
seems that two of the more important factors are the "value" of the
pages linking to your page, and the <title> tag. See e.g.

View raw message