I am not a committer. But, I am curious about why you don't have a "No Logo" option or a "Wait for more submissions" option.

Firstly, I think that they name "Derby" is a reference to racing, which implies that the product is fast. This is a good association. However, most entries seem to be based on that fact that "derby" *could* also refer to a type of hat that most people have absolutely no knowledge of. I don't see how this allusion to obscure trivia is useful to the project. Besides that, there are already major, successful open-source projects using hat logos (Red Hat and Fedora). Therefore, I believe that the hat logos are all fundamentally unhelpful, regardless of their impressive artistic merits.

Secondly, it seems like this logo idea was just conceived a very short time ago. The next version of Derby won't be released for some time. I don't understand why these kinds of marketing decisions cannot be deferred to a time closer to the release date. Since there is no pressing need for a logo, I think that it makes sense to wait for a really spectacular submission, even if it doesn't happen immediately.

Thirdly, I think that you would get a much broader (and potentially better) set of submissions if this was announced in forums that are oriented towards graphic design. Just like I wouldn't ask the population of a woodworking convention to design lingerie, I don't think it is a good idea to ask a mailing list consisting almost exclusively of programmers to create artwork.

Finally, I don't understand why every project needs to have a logo in the first place. Out of the following databases, how many of them have a logo that made enough of an impression on you that you could sketch it: SQL Server, DB2, Oracle, Firebird, PostgreSQL, MySQL, HSQL? Furthermore, none of the API's that I use on a regular basis have any logo worth noting.

- Brian